Find a Pest Control Professional
Pest-Proof During National Pest Management Month
This April, the National Pest Management Association encourages homeowners to take precautions against common pests
FAIRFAX, VA – The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) celebrates April as National Pest Management Month, an observance that’s been taking place for more than 30 years to recognize the pest management industry for its commitment to the protection of public health and property from common household pests.
“Whether it’s rodents, ants, termites, bed bugs or cockroaches, pest professionals play an important role in preserving our quality of life,” said Missy Henriksen, vice president of public affairs for the NPMA. “We’d like to recognize these men and women for all they do to keep our families and homes safe from unwanted pests not just during National Pest Management Month, but year-round.”
This April, homeowners are reminded to pest-proof their home in preparation for the upcoming pest season. NPMA experts recommend the following tips:
- Seal cracks and holes on the outside of the home including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Repair fascia and rotted roof shingles.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the foundation and windows.
- Keep tree branches and shrubbery well trimmed and away from the house.
- Store fire wood at least 20 feet away from the house and five inches off the ground.
- Eliminate sources of standing water around the house, including birdbaths and in clogged gutters.
- Keep basements, attics and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Keep kitchen counters clean, and store food in sealed containers.
- Store garbage in sealed containers and dispose of it regularly.
- Avoid leaving pet’s food dishes out for long periods of time.
“As the weather continues to get warmer, pests will begin to emerge from their overwintering sites and look for food indoors. National Pest Management Month comes at the perfect time to make pest-proofing a priority to prevent an infestation during the spring and summer seasons,” added Henriksen.
For more information on National Pest Management Month or for information on common household pests, please visit Pestworld.org.
The NPMA, a non-profit organization with more than 7,000 members, was established in 1933 to support the pest management industry's commitment to the protection of public health, food and property.